This quilt is made up of 25 squares, each 10 x 10 inches of pure white linen. Each square has been hemstitched around and very neatly sewn together. The centre square is embroidered 'Gilgandra Methodist Church Renovations completed 1st October 1926. J.W.Hynes, President of Conference'. All other squares have names or initials beautifully embroidered in white. There are 238 signatures, 60 initials plus centre square.
1271 x 1271 mm
In the 1920's and 1930's it became fashionable in Gilgandra to raise money for worthy causes, by paying sixpence or one shilling to have one's name embroidered on a quilt.
There are two such quilts in Gilgandra, one made by Mrs. Clara Ward commenced in 1937, raising money towards the building of a new hospital.
The second quilt was embroidered by various members of the Methodist church in 1926, to raise funds for Methodist church renovations."
There are 238 signatures, 60 initials and the centre square.